August is Child Support Awareness Month

Parents with licenses suspended for failure to pay child support can get those licenses reinstated this month as Hamilton County Job and Family Services again offers amnesty.

The agency’s You Drive, They Thrive campaign emphasizes the importance of parents getting back on track with paying support so their children can have their needs met. Delinquent parents can have their driver’s or professional license reinstated by paying a portion of their total child support obligation or by reporting their employment information, so wages can be garnished.

Parents can determine if they qualify for license reinstatement by calling 513-946-7387.

“We want to help parents take care of their children,” said Michael Patton, HCJFS director. “This is a chance for parents to get back on track and to get their licenses back.”


How are child support orders issued?

If a child is born out of wedlock, either party can call the HCJFS Child Support Enforcement Agency and ask to establish paternity. Once that happens, a case worker can help get a child support order. Child support orders are also often issued with a divorce or dissolution.

How is the amount of support determined?

  • Court or administrative orders determine the legal requirement to pay support and how much that payment will be.
  • Cases involving children born out-of-wedlock, or cases involving parents who are married but separated, are handled through Juvenile Court.
  • Cases involving divorce are handled through the Court of Domestic Relations.
  • You can estimate child support amounts using the ODJFS Child Support Calculator