Hamilton County Adult Protective Services (APS) is mandated by Ohio Revised Code Section 5101.62 to investigate reports of abuse, neglect and exploitation of the elderly in Hamilton County. Allegations of neglect also include self-neglect by an elderly person.

The caseworker:

  • Evaluates the report
  • Makes recommendations for support services as needed
  • Meets with the client and involved family members to discuss the report

What Are My Rights?

You have a right to:

  • Be treated with courtesy and respect.
  • A caseworker who works with you and listens to your needs and concerns.
  • Participate in the development of a Service Plan. A Service Plan identifies the services recommended and who will be responsible for providing those services.
  • Clear, honest answers to your questions.
  • Be told about other organizations that can help you and your family if APS cannot help.
  • Written notification of the case resolution.
  • Be served without discrimination on the basis of age, race, national origin; creed; gender; sexual orientation; lifestyle; or physical, mental or developmental disability.
  • File a complaint or grievance if you have a problem or concern that cannot be resolved by your caseworker or the supervisor.
  • Ask that services be terminated.

What Are My Responsibilities?

You have a responsibility to:

  • Provide accurate information.
  • Cooperate with your caseworker and others trying to help you.
  • Tell your caseworker or your caseworker’s supervisor if you have a problem so they can serve you better.

What Kind of Services Can APS Provide to Help Me and My Family?

APS can provide short-term (normally less than 30 days) case management services. In addition, APS can make service referrals to community agencies that can provide long-term support. Examples of these services are listed below.

  • Meals on Wheels 
  • Medical Treatment
  • Money Management
  • Long term homemaker services
  • Chore Services
  • Mental Health Counseling and treatment
  • Drug or Alcohol assessment and treatment

Community Organizations and Resources

Council on Aging 


Meals on Wheels of Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky 

United Way – 211

Non Emergency Transportation (NET) – (513) 946-1000 option 6

  • Transportation to medical appointments

Tri-Health Senior Link  

  • Team-managed program that provides comprehensive health care to those 55 years and older who meet nursing home and Medicaid eligibility requirements.
  • Senior Services | TriHealth

Medicaid Applications – (513) 946-1000

  • To apply for Medicaid benefits

People Working Cooperatively, Inc. 

Mobile Crisis Team

Talbert House 

  • Victims Services – assists victims of crime through criminal justice system (attending court, help in filing for victim’s compensation, crisis intervention counseling)
  • Housing
  • Substance abuse treatment and support
  • Talbert House – home

Central Community Health Board (CCHB) 

Legal Aid Society 

VHarmony Cares Medical Group


HCJFS 7001 (Rev. 2-14)