Below are explanations to the most common questions about the Ohio Electronic Child Care (ECC) system. Also, be sure to review the ODJFS Provider Guidance Letters.

Hamilton County Job and Family Services (HCJFS) Child Care Services has also developed a reminder page for caretakers (parents) that providers can use. Click here to review the factsheet.

Frequently Asked Questions:

How Do I complete a Child Care Connection?

In order for a provider to accept a new child into care, the provider must report a “child care connection” for the provider to be authorized to care for the child.

Reporting a connection is easy, simply decide who will report the connection – the provider or the caretaker (parent) – collect the necessary information and fill out this form.

If a caretaker’s (parent’s) case closes and they later reapply, their previous Ohio ECC card will not work. A new card will be sent to the caretaker (parent) for the new case after a new connection is authorized. Caretakers (parents) switching providers may only change to the new provider at the beginning of the service week (Sunday). All changes in providers will begin on the Sunday beginning the new service week.

The provider web (PWeb) contains all authorizations for children connected to each provider.

Please Note: Providers and/or caretakers (parents) must report connections no later than the first day of care. HCJFS will no longer back-date authorization for care. If HCJFS is not informed of the child care connection prior to the first day of care, the authorization will begin on the day the child care connection was reported.

A child that was previously in my care is no longer attending. Do I need to report it?

Children no longer in care will continue to appear on the provider web for a yet undetermined amount of time. Providers must only report terminations for children with active, future end-dated authorizations. Children that are connected to the provider without daily transactions (in and out) are not considered in group size or certification limits. Although they remain on the provider’s web screen, they will not prevent a provider from offering care to other new children.

There was a holiday this week. Will my payment be delayed?

Yes, your payment will be delayed by one day.

In addition, each year the state’s end of fiscal year processing in June will cause a one week payment delay.

Payment Schedule Information

How do I record overnight care on Saturday?

The payment week begins on Sunday and ends on Saturday. When a child is staying in care across the end of a payment week, overnight from Saturday to a Sunday (the last day of a payment week to the first day of the next payment week), the caretaker (parent) MUST do a back swipe OUT for 11:59 p.m. on Saturday and a back swipe IN for 12 a.m., midnight, on the Sunday before swiping out at the end of care on Sunday.

Any time in care up to Saturday at 11:59 p.m. will be calculated with the previous week of care. Care provided from 12 a.m., midnight, will be calculated with the current week.

When do I record days children are absent?

A day is recognized as the 24-hour period spanning from 12 a.m. through 11:59 p.m. If a child is authorized an in attendance at any time during the period of 12 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. then an absent day cannot be recorded for that day.

The provider may bill for an absent day when the child was authorized and scheduled to be in attendance but was not in attendance any time from 12 a.m. through 11:59 p.m., as long as the child has a remaining absent day within the six month period.

A provider may be paid for absent days for which a child is eligible during each six-month period that care is provided.

Providers must record absent days using the PWeb or the Ohio ECC Provider Helpline at 1-888-516-4776. The provider shall report any absent days regardless of the effect on payment. The value of an absent day is based on authorization:

  1. For a full-time or full-time plus authorization, the value of an absent day is eight hours
  2. For a part-time authorization, the value of an absent day is five hours
  3. For an hourly authorization, the value of an absent day is five hours

How do I record an absent day?

Absent days can be recorded by the child care provider on the provider website (PWeb). To report an absent day on PWeb, click the “Record Absence” button on the child’s authorization under the “Authorization – Profile” screen. Once you click the “Record Absence” button it will open the “Authorization – Absence” screen.

The top portion of the screen will continue to display the child’s information and the bottom will show absence information. On this screen you have two choices.

  • Enter a new absent day
  • Void any absent days that are unsettled (recorded absences not yet processed)

Absent days must be entered within the back swipe period (current week plus the 2 previous weeks). Once that status changes to settled, you can no longer void the absence and any changes would have to be made through a manual process.

Please Note: To date, ODJFS has received several payment adjustment requests for absent days. While there may be situations in which an absent day could be claimed using the manual claim form, absent days cannot be claimed on the payment adjustment form. If attendance was swiped for a week, that means the authorization was active and absent days could have been claimed during the back swipe period using the provider website (PWeb). This system requirement for reporting absent days using the PWeb will allow for the timely and accurate reporting of absent days during the week they are claimed. ODJFS will not approve an adjustment request for an absent day when the PWeb process should have been used.

How do I record when a child is transported to or from school?

Completing a Previous Check In/Previous Check Out During the Back Swipe Period when the Child is Transported by the Provider/School Bus:

A previous check in/out will be required when:

  • A school age child attends child care before and/or after school and is transported to and/or from school by the provider
  • A child is transported to/from the program by the provider
  • The caretaker (parent) or designee does not swipe their card when a child enters or exits child care

For example:

  • Child is transported to the child care program (card unavailable) and arrives at the child care program at 7:30 am.
  • Child goes to school on school bus (card unavailable), leaving the child care program at 10:00 am.
  • Child returns to the child care program by bus (card unavailable) and arrives back at 2:00 pm.
  • Caretaker (parent) or designee picks the child up from the child care program (swipe card is available) at 6:00 pm.

This scenario requires the caretaker to perform 4 transactions when the child is picked up by the caretaker or designee at 6:00 pm.

  1. Transaction #1 Previous Check In for the 7:30 am arrival.
  2. Transaction #2 Previous Check Out for the 10:00 am departure.
  3. Transaction #3 Previous Check In for the 2:00 pm arrival.
  4. Transaction #4 Current Check Out at 6:00 pm completing the day.

Each back swipe transaction takes approximately 15-20 seconds for a total of 1-2 minutes to record all activity for that day.

The department will continue to evaluate potential changes for school age processes through statewide go-live in January 2012.

If you have questions, please feel free to call the CCIDS Help Desk/Business Unit at 1-877-302-2347, option 1 or e-mail at

What is the unmatched check in/check out report?

One of the most important tools providers have is access to is the Unmatched Check In/Out Report. This report is on the PWeb and is used to help you verify that there are no children that have a check-in without a matching check-out.

Providers should review the Unmatched Check In/Out Report at least weekly, and best practice suggests the report be reviewed daily, to be sure swipes are being completed properly by the caretaker (parent). If any unmatched transactions appear on the report, they must be corrected in order in ensure a correct payment. If the unmatched check-ins are not corrected the child’s attendance for that day will not be included in the hours used for the payment calculation of that week.

To correct an unmatched check-in, you have to either void the check-in that has been swiped in error or have the caretaker (parent) complete a previous check-out for the appropriate date and time.

Please review this report on a regular basis to see that all unmatched transactions are corrected before the date the payment is processed. In addition to the Unmatched Check In/Out Report, an Exceptions Report is available on the POS device that displays the same information. This report can be found under the “Provider Options.” You can print a daily report for any date within the previous 21 days.

Providers who check these reports and monitor attendance transactions regularly will receive correct and timely payments. If attendance errors are not corrected before the back swipe period ends, a manual adjustment is needed to correct the payment. As you know, you must submit manual claims and adjustments to the county department of Job and Family Services (CDJFS). The county processes the manual claims and forwards adjustments to the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS). Currently, the time frame for the payment of adjustments is 90 days from the date ODJFS receives them.

A child in my care has a school holiday, can he/she be approved for additional hours?

The county is no longer able to add “additional hours” for changing needs around school holidays. A child must be authorized for the care needed. In some cases no change is required as the “extra” hours being used for a school holiday still fall within the authorization category and will be covered. However, if a child is changing providers or changing the category of authorization the caretaker (parent) or provider must report the need for an authorization change.